Are you aware of the dangers associated with carbon monoxide poisoning and keyless ignition?
According to the automotive information website Edmunds, nearly 10 million new cars sold each year in the US have keyless ignitions. For over a century, drivers have been using a physical key to start their car’s engine. With remote car starters, people have become accustomed to the convenience of starting their car from a distance, without a key. With today’s quiet running engines, drivers can be lulled into thinking that their car has stopped running when they park in their garage leading to a possibly tragic carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that deprives the heart, brain and other organs of oxygen. This can cause brain damage and potentially death. The NHTSA has proposed a federal regulation that would require an inexpensive software change that would cause an audible alert to notify drivers that their car is still running. The car manufacturers have been unwilling to voluntarily make this simple change to date.
If you or a loved one has been injured by carbon monoxide poisoning related to a car with this feature, we will evaluate your case at no cost to you.
Source: New York Times